This course describes the performance outcomes, skills, and knowledge required to use personal hygiene practices to prevent contamination of food that might cause food-borne illnesses. It requires the ability to follow predetermined organisational procedures and to identify and control food hazards.
This course applies to all organisations with permanent or temporary kitchen premises or small food preparation or bar areas.
This included restaurants, cafes, clubs, hotels, and bars; tour operators; attractions; function, event, exhibition, and conference catering; educational institutions; aged care facilities; correctional centres; hospitals, defence forces; cafeterias, kiosks, canteens, and fast food outlets; residential caterings; in-flight and other transport catering.
It applies to food handlers who directly handle food or food contact surfaces such as cutlery, plates, and bowls during their daily work activities. This includes cooks, chefs, caterers, kitchen stewards, kitchen hands, bar, and food and beverage attendants, and sometimes room attendants and front office staff.
Food handlers must comply with the requirements contained within the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
What You Will Learn
- What is food safety and why is it important?
- How to identify and assess food safety hazards
- Procedures for controlling risks
- Monitor food safety in the workplace
CHT utilises competency-based assessment to demonstrate that you have achieved the skills and knowledge required by nationally recognised standards. To achieve competence in this unit you will need to complete a written assessment and a skills demonstration.
On successful completion of the course you will be issued with the nationally recognised Statement of Attainment
SITXFSA001 – Use hygienic practices for food safety
Entrance Requirements / Pre-requisites
- Learners must be 16 years of age and over at the time of course commencement.
- There are no pre-requisite units for this course.
How to Enrol
To enrol into this course, please follow these simple steps
- Select a date from the course timetable on this page.
- Complete your personal details and make a payment via credit or debit card.
- Receive an email with confirmation of your booking.
- Complete the full enrolment form prior to the commencement of your course.
Fees and Government Funding
|Tuition Fees (GST Exempt)||Cost|
Are you eligible for a Government Subsidy?
Government funding is not available for the standalone Food Handling course; however, you might want to consider doing our Government funded* Certificate IV in Hospitality (SIT40416), which includes Food Handling amongst other subjects.
If you are an Australian citizen (or permanent resident) you may be eligible for this subsidised course.
Certificate IV in Hospitality (SIT40416) is a nationally recognised qualification which includes:
- Barista Coffee
- Food Handling and Food Safety Supervisor
- Leadership and Management
- Responsible Service of Alcohol
- Waiting Skills
- Plus much more!
Visit the course page for further details: Certificate IV in Hospitality (SIT40416)
Click here to see CHT’s fee schedule.
*This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.