This qualification reflects the role of individuals working as developing and emerging leaders and managers in a range of enterprise and industry contexts. As well as assuming responsibility for their own performance, individuals at this level provide leadership, guidance, and support to others. They also have some responsibility for organising and monitoring the output of their team. They apply solutions to a defined range of predictable and unpredictable problems and analyse and evaluate information from a variety of sources.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in various management and senior supervisory roles.
Possible job titles include
- team leader
- line manager.
Pathways to further study
- BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management
- SIT50416 Diploma of Hospitality Management
- SIT60316 Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management
Workplace (Traineeship or Non-Traineeship)
6 - 12 months
|Demonstrate leadership in the workplace||BSBLDR411||Core|
|Lead Effective Workplace Relationships||BSBLDR413||Core|
|Coordinate business operational plans||BSBOPS402||Core|
|Apply communication strategies in the workplace||BSBXCM401||Core|
|Lead and facilitate a team||BSBXTW401||Core|
|Unit Description||Unit Code||Core|
|Support the learning and development of teams and individuals||BSBHRM413||Elective|
|Manage recruitment and onboarding||BSBHRM525||Elective|
|Communicate effectively as a workplace leader||BSBLDR412||Elective|
|Lead team effectiveness||BSBLDR414||Elective|
|Lead the development of diverse workforces||BSBLDR521||Elective|
|Develop personal work priorities||BSBPEF402||Elective|
|Implement and monitor WHS policies, procedures and programs||BSBWHS411||Elective|
CHT utilises competency-based assessment to demonstrate that you have achieved the skills and knowledge required by nationally recognised standards. A competency is a statement about the skills, knowledge, and attitudes required by a learner. Assessment of competencies may attract both direct (show and tell) and indirect (show, tell, and apply) assessment methods including written, oral, and practical techniques. Competency based assessment is very flexible, so can be tailored to meet the needs of each individual participant. You will know in advance about the type of assessment and what evidence or observations are required to demonstrate your competency. There is the opportunity for reassessment and appeal, and our student handbook will provide you with this information.
On successful completion of the course you will be issued with the nationally recognised qualification:
BSB40520 Certificate IV in Leadership and Management
Partial completion of the course requirements will result in a Statement of Attainment where one or more accredited units have been completed.
Entrance Requirements / Pre-requisites
- Learners must be 16 years of age and over at the time of course commencement.
- Any learner under the age of 17 years at the time of the commencement of training who has not yet completed Year 10, must provide correspondence or a certificate signed by a Department Regional Director that exempts that individual from school attendance and clearly identifies the relevant employer where the student is to undertake an apprenticeship or traineeship..
- Any learner under the age of 17 years at the time of the commencement of training who has completed Year 10, must provide a ‘Transition From School Form’, or correspondence or a certificate signed by the school principal or a Department Regional Director that exempts that individual from school attendance and clearly identifies the relevant employer where the student is to undertake an apprenticeship or traineeship.
- Learners are expected to have learning, reading, writing, oral communication, and numeracy skills at or Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) Level 3 (senior secondary school equivalent).
- Apprenticeship and traineeship learners must be currently employed under a training contract and referred by their employer.
- No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
- Learners must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend onsite learning (Department of Education and Training, Victoria).
- Regular access to a computer, tablet, or smartphone that has reliable internet access.
- An email address that is current and regularly checked.
CHT is committed to providing high quality training that aligns with industry and community demands and workforce needs. CHT is also committed to ensuring the best possible education, employment, and training outcomes for our learners. As a part of the application and enrolment process, all learners complete a pre-training review (PTR). This review ensures that individual learners are enrolled into the most suitable and appropriate qualification. It is also an opportunity for CHT to understand the learner’s individual needs and requirements, their current competencies that relate to the course and to identify opportunities for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Credit Transfers. The information gained from the PTR helps CHT design a learning and assessment strategy appropriate for the learner. CHT uses this review to provide the learner with the educational and support services they may need while studying to ensure they can achieve the best outcomes and benefits from the course they are enrolling in, according to their learning objectives, career aspirations and skill level.
Literacy and numeracy
Learners will be required to undertake a Language, Literacy, and Numeracy (LLN) assessment to determine their ACSF level. The LLN assessment identifies the learner’s current LLN skill level to check whether they have the minimum skills required to successfully participate in the program and can develop the necessary employability skills. The assessment also identifies if LLN assistance will be required for the learner to undertake the course.
Fees and Government Funding
|Tuition Fees (GST Exempt)||Cost|
Click here to see CHT’s fee schedule.
*This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.