This course describes the performance outcomes, skills, and knowledge required to extract and serve espresso coffee beverages using commercial espresso machines and grinders. It requires the ability to advise customers on coffee beverages, select and grind coffee beans, prepare and assess espresso coffee beverages and to use, maintain, and clean espresso machines and grinders.
This course applies to any hospitality organisation that serves espresso coffee beverages, including cafes, restaurants, bars, clubs, function, and event venues.
It applies to espresso machine operators who operate with some level of independence and under limited supervision.
What will you learn
- Loading the group handle and tamping coffee
- Adjusting the grinder and espresso machines to achieve perfect espresso
- Advanced milk texturing
- Introduction to Latte Art (poured and etched patterns)
- Specialist coffee advice
- Pouring the coffees from the coffee menu
- Cleaning and maintain the espresso machine and grinder
- Safe food handling practices and much more!
CHT utilises competency-based assessment to demonstrate that you have achieved the skills and knowledge required by nationally recognised standards. To achieve competence in this unit you will need to complete a written assessment and a skills demonstration.
Upon completion of the course, you have the option to return for monthly free refresher classes to practice the techniques you learn during the course for up to six months after you complete the course.
On successful completion of the course you will be issued with the nationally recognised Statement(s) of Attainment
SITHFAB005 - Prepare and serve espresso coffee.
SITXFSA001 - Use hygienic practices for food safety.
Entrance Requirements / Pre-requisites
- Learners must be 16 years of age and over at the time of course commencement.
- There are no pre-requisite units for this course.
How to Enrol
To enrol into this course, please follow these simple steps
- Select a date from the course timetable on this page.
- Complete your personal details and make a payment via credit or debit card.
- Receive an email with confirmation of your booking.
- Complete the full enrolment form prior to the commencement of your course.
Fees and Government Funding
|Tuition Fees (GST Exempt)||Cost|
Are you eligible for a Government Subsidy?
Government funding is not available for the standalone Barista Coffee Master Class; however, you might want to consider doing our Government funded* Certificate IV in Hospitality (SIT40416), which includes Barista Coffee amongst other subjects.
If you are an Australian citizen (or permanent resident) you may be eligible for this subsidised course.
Certificate IV in Hospitality (SIT40416) is a nationally recognised qualification which includes:
- Barista Coffee
- Food Handling and Food Safety Supervisor
- Leadership and Management
- Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA)
- Waiting Skills
- Plus much more!
Visit the course page for further details: Certificate IV in Hospitality (SIT40416)
Click here to see CHT’s fee schedule.
View Main Barista Training Page
*This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.