If you’re entering the booming hospitality industry in Australia, you want to know what career paths a hospitality qualification can open up for you. You can start a successful and fulfilling career in this industry with some education, hard work, and experience. In time you’ll find the perfect niche and forge a career path. To that end, let’s discuss your various job options, potential employers, and how to find the right career path for you.
What Are the Job Options in Hospitality?
If you’ve obtained a qualification in food management or hospitality, you’ve already opened the doors for a wide variety of career paths. This variety allows you to use your skills and personality traits to benefit your career.
Job options in hospitality:
- Restaurant management is an excellent option if you are friendly, organised, and a good leader. In this role, you’ll oversee the day-to-day running of the restaurant, manage staff, plan events, and keep customers happy.
- Hotel management is a varied job in which you oversee every aspect of running a hotel. You’ll monitor guest services, supervise staff, and manage revenue generation. You’ll need people skills and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Event planning leans heavily on executive functions such as planning, juggling multiple tasks, a good memory, and flexible thinking. You’ll organise and execute conferences, corporate events, birthday parties, and weddings in this role.
- As a catering manager, you will be involved in food preparation, staff management and coordinating events. As with many hospitality careers, you’ll have to be able to multitask and market your business.
- Chefs may focus on the kitchen, but they also have to manage staff. You’ll have to create menus and prepare high-quality food to succeed. This career path requires a deep passion for food and customer satisfaction.
- Food and beverage managers must be able to plan menus, monitor stock and inventory, manage food and beverage services, and train staff. Knowing the products you have on offer and how to describe each dish to clients and employees is critical in this role.
Who Employs Hospitality Graduates?
Hospitality graduates get to work for various employers, and depending on your skill set, you may be able to work in several of these industries. During your job search, you may not want to limit yourself to only working in restaurants when you could just as easily put your skills to use in a hotel – and those are only two examples of employers.
Hospitality industry employers:
- Event companies
- Holiday resorts
- Catering companies
- Cruise ships
How To Find the Right Career Path for You
The best place to start if you’re trying to figure out the right career path is by researching each role’s duties, salary, and typical career trajectory. Next, you want to consider an internship to get hands-on experience. Speak to industry experts and co-workers during your internship to get more personal insights into various roles. Lastly, consider career counselling to discover your strengths and weaknesses.